What is epoxy?
Epoxies are polymer materials that begin life as liquids and are converted to the solid polymers by a chemical reaction. An epoxy based polymer is mechanically strong, chemically resistant to degradation of the chemical elements in the solid form and highly adhesive during conversion from liquid to solid. There are a wide range of basic epoxy chemicals from which an epoxy system can be formulated. Epoxies are known for their excellent adhesion, chemical and heat resistance, good to excellent mechanical properties and very good electrical insulating properties. Almost any property can be modified.
Is epoxy safe?
Epoxy is safe and there are no known harmful effects of the chemicals used in the mixture. It also has a high resistance to chemicals such as gasoline, salt, grease, oil and solvents. Some Advantages of using epoxy floor:
- Protects concrete from wear, chemical corrosion and chemical deterioration.
- Reduces wear to transport vehicles and reduces time spent on maintenance.
- Provides faster material movement through working and transport areas and protects products from damage.
- Reduces floor maintenance and cleaning costs, producing a cleaner work environment and decreases injuries with non-slip surfaces.
- Increases light reflectivity and brightens work areas which saves on utility expenses and maximizes work efficiencies.
Why to choose epoxy floors?
There are many reasons why to go for epoxy flooring, as being seamless in nature, hygienic properties, slip resistance etc.
- Impact Resistance: Epoxy floors are generally used in areas of industry where goods are handled in specific spaces, such as production lines, warehouses, loading bays, and where compressive loads are generated by the movement of goods on trucks, pallets etc.
- Slip Resistance: Pedestrian traffic areas require varying degrees of slip resistance dependent on whether the environment is wet or dry.
- Fire Resistance: Fire escape routes, explosive production and storage areas underground carpark decks.
- Hygiene: Pharmaceutical, Automotive, food, beverage, chemical and electronics industries have very demanding sanitary requirements. These industries often need totally dust free and easily cleanable floors, without cracks or angled Corners.
- Chemical Resistant: Epoxy floor coatings provide an impermeable seal to protect floor from chemical attack.
Areas of Application of Epoxy
- Floor Chemical plants
- Pharmaceuticals Industries
- Food Processing Areas
- Bottling Plant
- Electric / Electronics Industries
- Computer Rooms
- Operation Theaters & Corridors
- Nuclear Power Plants
- Dairies & Breweries
- Aerospace Industries
- Airport Hangers
- Picture Tube
- Manufacturing Plants
- Automobiles Workshops
- Fermentation Floor in tea Gardens
- Textile Mills Warehouse
- Hotels & Restaurant
Steps of Application
- Surface preparation
- Application of primer & allow it to cure
- Application of topcoat