Bridges & Transportation
Bridges often deteriorate with aging due to corrosion and require strengthening. In some parts of the world, seismic upgrade of these structures is required for compliance with latest design codes. Many older bridges may require strengthening of the superstructure and substructure to increase their live load carrying capacity and rating. All these conditions create an ideal environment for repair and strengthening of bridges and transportation infrastructure with Afzir Fiber Reinforced Polymer (FRP) products.
Our engineered FRP solutions offer fast, long-lasting and economical repair alternatives to owners, architect/engineers and contractors involved with the transportation industry to ensure the project is completed on time, within budget and with minimum disruption of service. These systems are particularly ideal when the repairs have to be completed in a short time frame and provide a long service life. Afzir FRP systems have been extensively tested by several state departments of transportation and their effectiveness has been well documented.
Some of the repair and strengthening projects in bridge and transportation industry that can benefit from Afzir® engineered FRP solutions are:
- Repair and strengthening of corrosion damaged concrete decks, beams and girders for both flexure and shear.
- Repair and strengthening of corrosion damaged concrete, timber or steel columns and piling using FRP system.
- Repair of structural components such as columns and girders that are damaged in a vehicular accident
- Strengthening of floor decks, beams and columns for larger live loads and increased rating of the bridge
- Repair and strengthening of corroded corrugated metal pipe (CMP) culverts by using FRP products
- Strengthening rectangular culverts with wet layup FRP to increase their live load capacity
- Seismic strengthening of bridges for enhanced resiliency in case a major earthquake occurs
- Strengthening of corrosion-damaged submerged piles and pier walls with FRP composite
- Repair of existing and construction of new pipelines that carry water or other fluids across a bridge using the FRP technology
- Repair of corrosion-damaged abutments, seawalls, sheet piles, etc. with FRP system
In most cases, Afzir engineers can provide a complete “turnkey” design-build solution that includes sealed engineering drawings by our in-house engineers, all of the materials needed, and installation by one of our approved and certified installers or our construction company. This unique turnkey design-build approach results in significant efficiency, time and cost-savings, and minimizes the potential errors and delays that can result when multiple groups are involved in one project.
Afzir also welcomes the opportunity to partner with owners, architects, engineers and contractors by providing any single aspect of the project, i.e., design, materials, or installation for a specific project in any bridge project.