Coastal Homes and Businesses
Hurricane Sandy and others have demonstrated the devastation that can result to residential and commercial waterfront properties. Many of these coastal structures become submerged and flooded with water, causing significant damage or destruction of the entire property. The U.S. Federal Emergency Management Administration (FEMA) has updated its flood maps to increase the areas that could be susceptible to flood damage. Global warming is another factor that contributes to the rise in the sea levels and this trend is expected to continue for several decades.
One solution adopted after hurricane Sandy is to raise the coastal homes to a higher elevation. Our FRP composite system is the only system that allows lifting a home in place, splicing the timber piles to make them taller and resting the home back on the repaired piles. All of these can be achieved while the home is lifted at its current footprint!
Some of the repair and strengthening projects in the marine and waterfront structures that can benefit from Afzir engineered FRP solutions are:
- Repair of concrete floors and beams in decks and piers that are damaged by corrosion with minimal disruption of service
- Strengthening of concrete or timber floors and beams in decks and piers to carry heavier loads
- Strengthening of corrosion-damaged timber, steel or concrete piles with FRP to resist higher loads
- Seismic strengthening of concrete, steel and timber structures and submerged piles for enhanced resiliency in case a major earthquake occurs
- Repair of corroded seawalls and steel sheet piles with FRP products
- Repair of deteriorated culverts with FRP composite
In most cases, Afzir engineers can provide a complete “turnkey” design-build solution that includes sealed engineering drawings by our in-house engineers, all of the materials needed, and installation by one of our approved and certified installers. This unique turnkey design-build approach results in significant efficiency, time and cost-savings, and minimizes the potential errors and delays that can result when multiple groups are involved in one project. Our patented technologies that reduce the need for divers result in further cost savings in repair of marine structures.
Afzir also welcomes the opportunity to partner with owners, architects, engineers and contractors by providing any single aspect of the project, i.e., design, materials, or installation for a specific project.