Mines all over the world have a complex infrastructure that must remain operational nearly at all times. Any prolonged shutdown results in major loss of revenue. At the same time, most mines handle a variety of harsh and corrosive chemicals as part of their extraction process. These acids and chemicals often spray on floors, columns and walls and lead to rapid deterioration and corrosion of steel structures or the steel in reinforced concrete structures. At the same time, the mindset at most mines is to get the repairs completed quickly and resume production as soon as possible. Many mines perform these repairs during scheduled shutdowns where time is at a premium. All these conditions create an ideal environment for repair and strengthening with Afzir Fiber Reinforced Polymer (FRP) products.
Our engineered FRP solutions offer fast, long-lasting and economical repair alternatives to owners, architect/engineers and contractors involved with mines and the mining industry to ensure the project is completed on time, within budget and with minimum disruption of service. These systems are particularly ideal when the repairs have to be completed in a short shutdown time frame.
Some of the repair and strengthening projects in mines and mining industry that can benefit from Afzir engineered FRP solutions are:
- Repair of corrosion damaged columns, floors, walls, stairways, etc. such as tank houses in copper mines
- Repair of concrete pedestals, footings, foundations, etc. that support various equipment
- Strengthening of floors, beams, columns and walls as a result of change of use in existing buildings, or placement of additional loads, etc. using FRP
- Repair and strengthening of steel, concrete and fiberglass tanks
- Repair of corrosion-damaged beams, walls and columns in cooling towers with FRP products
- Blast retrofit/mitigation or force protection of the key structures such as control rooms against terrorist attacks or accidental explosion
- Seismic strengthening of concrete and masonry buildings for enhanced resiliency in case a major earthquake occurs
- Trenchless repair of high-pressure pipelines (internally or externally) with FRP systems
- Construction of new pipelines to deliver water to the mine from faraway sources using the FRP technology
- Repair of jetties and submerged piles that may be a part of the plant, e.g. jetties used as unloading facilities
- Repair and strengthening of chimneys and smokestacks